Friday, February 4, 2011

Do Androids dream of electric sheep?

my painting inspired by Bladerunner


Another sleepless night, so this weeks entry is a very early one….Enjoy!

I have always been a SciFi fan, reading Philip K Dick, Kurt Vonnegut to name a few brilliant minds. I even was so inspired by them, that I made numerous paintings and drawings. Inspiration. Dreaming, Fantasy: it is great food for the brain ! Imagine the Impossible and then double it.

Dreams of other worlds, parallel universes. It all seems so far fetched, but is it? Jules Vernes must have been declared a weird and crazy character but look, we can travel around the world in 80days if we want to, outerspace, deep sea diving, it all seems normal now! Is it so strange, considering string theory and quantum physics that you and your stash (Remember last weeks blog!) exist on the other side. Hmmm that’s a double stash! Lol All I am trying to say here that things may not be so strange as they sound..or, as they say: reality may be stranger than fiction. Only in retrospect can we possibly understand how strange and improbable our own lives are. If you would have told me 15years ago that I would be living in Australia surrounded by furry animals, spinning, dyeing and weaving I would have definitely said that you must be out of your mind. And well, look at me now! Who would have thought eh? Life is stranger than fiction. Can anybody tell me what their life will be in 10 years? And yet that question is standard issue in job interviews: Where do you see yourself in 10 years. Sometimes the dreams we have will come true, but more often than not, the paths we take can be as unpredictable as the Australian weather: idyllic and sunny one day and dramatically cyclonic and fiery the next. If Jules Vernes could “predict”some scientific advances to come, why can’t we predict what our own lives will look like in this universe let alone the parallel universe…lol One thing for sure, I hope the “me”on the other side will have as much fun and be as passionate about something as I am.

Which brings me to 2011 . On February 3rd the new year has started in the Chinese calendar and it is now officially the year of the Rabbit !
This year is generally considered as an unfavourable year since 2011 will usher in the Wood Rabbit in a Metal Year, whatever that means. Since the metal element generally works against the wood element, apparently we can expect at least some uncertainties and continued troubles carried over from the roller-coaster Tiger Year.
For every sign it is a different story though (if you believe in such things) . The Rabbit year though should be cuddly, warm and affectionat, so I have been told. The Rabbit is Mysterious and is also one of the luckiest signs in the Chinese Astrology chart ! Well , this rabbit (yes I was born in a rabbit year…lol) needs all the luck she can get because apparently there are a lot of obstacles to be overcome. And I will have mood swings..lol (no wonder with the hormone deficiency I am going through..;-) ) All in all I need to stay away from metal tools, need to eat on time! (that is a very hard call) , take good care of myself and not take any risks. In a nutshell this year of the rabbit tells me that me as a rabbit person, this year has evil stars, a lot of pressure in work, bad fortune (I had no idea these two words could be used together but there you go), love and luck is weak and my health will not be pleasant. Well, thank you very much: I think I will stay in bed this year having read all that ! But ofcourse I am a stubborn bunny so I will keep it in mind but ignore it totally and keep doing what I passionately do and hope for the best. Lol If you are interested in what your year of the Rabbit looks like for your sign , here’s the link which tells you what sign you are and what you may expect from this Year of the Rabbit…http://www.wayangtimes.com/2011-year-of-the-rabbit-chinese-zodiac-horoscope-forecast.html

I looked up what the Rabbit year for Paul would bring (he apparently is born in the year of the Horse) and his year will be happy, fortunate, lots of work and income, even the Love sign is blooming (how does that work? When mine is going to be dismal? Lol hmmm better keep my eye on him eh?lol) I was looking forward to this year of the Rabbit, but hearing that it might be better to hide in the rabbit hole for me makes me wonder…
Oh well, like I said earlier, only in retrospect, can we determine if it was a good year or not and nothing is predetermined is it? Otherwise it wouldn’t be any fun!

Here’s to a wonderful, successful, healthy and loving Year of the Rabbit 2011 for everybody!
Happy Year if the Rabbit 2011

Dates to Remember:

Bunny Spin in at the Ixchel Fibre Farm:

Saturday February 19th
Thursday February 24th
Bring your wheel, spindle, knitting, crocheting and a plate to share with everybody. There is cake and coffee and tea and a lovely bunny to cuddle and lots of fibres and yarn!) very important ! : Please, please let me know beforehand by email or message that you would like to come and visit so I can prepare the infrastructure and cake ofcourse !


Hand dyed IxCHeL Organic Lincoln Curly Longwool Sheep Tops
100+grams /AU$19

A Lincoln Longwool Lamb showing her heavy fleece

The Lincoln, sometimes called the Lincoln Longwool, is a breed of sheep from England. The Lincoln is the largest British sheep, developed specifically to produce the heaviest, longest and most lustrous fleece of any breed in the world. Great numbers were exported to many countries to improve the size and wool quality of their native breeds. The versatile fleece is in great demand for spinning, weaving and many other crafts. It is now one of Britain's rarer breeds, categorized as "at risk" by the Rare Breeds Survival Trust since there are fewer than 1500 registered breeding females in the UK. Mature rams weigh from 250 to 350 lb (110 to 160 kg), and mature ewes will range in weight from 200 to 250 lb (91 to 110 kg). Fleece of the Lincoln is carried in heavy locks that are often twisted into a spiral near the end. The staple length in Lincolns is among the longest of all the breeds, ranging from 8 to 15 in (20 to 38 cm) with a yield of 65 to 80%. Lincolns produce the heaviest fleeces of the long-wooled sheep with ewe fleeces weighing from 12 to 20 lb (5.4 to 9.1 kg). The fleece has a numeric count of 36's - 46's and ranges around 33.5 microns in diameter. The fleece has considerable luster !

Walter and the Other Side-1left-



The Firefly -sold-

A new Day in the Old Town -sold-

the Cortexiphan Trial -sold-

The Parallel Universe -1left-


Hand dyed IxCHeL Wensleydale Sheep Tops
100+grams /AU$20


The Wensleydale sheep with super dreadlocks ;-)


The Wensleydale is a breed of domestic sheep that originated in the Wensleydale region of North Yorkshire. Possessing a blue–grey face, the breed was developed in the 19th century by crossing English Leicester and Teeswater sheep.
One of the largest and heaviest of all sheep breeds, the Wensleydale has long, ringlet-like locks of wool. It is categorized as "at risk" by the Rare Breeds Survival Trust of the U.K. as it has fewer than 1500 registered breeding females. The Wensleydale is a large long wool sheep with a distinctive grey black face, ears and legs. The ears are slightly elongated and stand upright. They are naturally poled and have a a tuft of long wool on top of the head which is not typically sheered (for aesthetic purposes).
Wool from this breed is acknowledged as the finest lustre long wool in the world. The fleece from a purebred sheep is considered kemp free and curled or purled on out to the end.

Transformation -sold-

Grey Matters -sold-

The Bishop Revival -1left-

The No-Brainer -sold-


The Ghost network -1left-

Astro-ashram-aspirin-ASTRID!-1left-

Hand dyed Mulberry Peace silk – or Good Karma Silk Tops
Silk Harvested Animal Friendly ! Superb lustre, A+ quality
50+grams /AU$23


A silk Moth (drawing)


Inner Child -2left-

Olivia..in the Lab.With the Revolver -1left-


In which we met Dr Jones -3left-

What lies below (hmm was that also a Dr Who Episode?) -1left-


Do shapeshifters dream of electric sheep ? -2left-
(a take on Philip K Dicks novel do androids dream of electric sheep (1968) which was made into the classic fabulous movie BLADERUNNER by Ridley Scott starring Harrison Ford in 1982)


Concentrate and ask again -1left-

Dream Logic -1left-

For Whom Bell tolls -sold-

Night of desirable Objects -2left-


Natural English Angora Bunny tops + Mulberry Peace silk – or Good Karma Silk Tops (50/50)
Silk Harvested Animal Friendly ! Superb lustre, A+ quality
Super amazing to spin with ultimate fineness and lustre
50+grams /AU$22



Contact me on Ravelry where I am Ixchelbunny, message me on facebook there or email me on Ixchelbunny@yahoo.com.au (I am experiencing some problems with my regular email provider Rabbit . The company Rabbit has sadly been taken over by another company. I will miss the Rabbit team and Rodney dearly. I think they were the only telecommunication company where you could talk to a PERSON almost immediately and even when you had to wait a bit you could choose your music: regular or celtic..lol. Their sense of humor and great service will be missed! )

Thanks heaps for your support !

RABBIT ON!!
((hugs))
Charly


Fringe take on the Silk Moth

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! Your painting is amazing! You are so super talented... I'm envious! :) But seriously that is a great painting!

ixchel bunny said...

thanks drChopSuey ! I started the painting in 1984 then worked off and on, on it for ten years. Jsut because I couldn't get the perspective right, the colours etc. Finally I was ready to finish it ten years later...lol...good things come to those who wait eh? ;)) I did do paintings in the meantime but sometimes things just take time to put the right finishing touches on. Thanks so much for your nice comments :))