Friday, August 17, 2012

In Limbo


Some weeks just start off wrong. I wasn’t looking forward to this week I have to tell you straight off, because of another visit to the oncology department, but I certainly didn’t count on the mess ! First on Monday, a probably well meaning reader of Grass Roots magazine where a couple of my articles were published about bunnies, my life on the farm, etc., sent me a huge letter basically pointing out to me that if I would have been a vegan I could have PREVENTED cancer. And to get healthy not to eat meat, drink alcohol, eat cheese, chocolate, drugs or drink milk. Safe to say that message which lasted 2 A4 pages long and was filled with capital letters to put aggressive emphasis on the message did not leave me smiling or gave me that nice warm glow. Instead it just said it was all my own fault. I have a lot of respect for people with convictions, with all kinds of belief systems , be it vegans, vegetarians, Pagans, Christians, Muslims, Buddhists, anybody…..I only have problems when people go into convert mode if you know what I mean and start preaching doomsday and pointing fingers. I was not feeling all that confident about the Tuesday hospital visit and this just was not what I needed. So, a big THANK YOU for that…..(not). Believe and practice all you want and discuss all you want, but please add compassion to it, so it reeks less of the Spanish Inquisition…(great now I can’t get that Monthy Python sketch out of my mind..lol)

Anyway, moving on to Tuesday: I won’t go into details, but I will say this: if you thought that having needles for local anaesthetic put into your gum when going to the dentist is tough, try imagining what it feels like to have a big pointy needle stuck into your private parts and try not to kick the doctor in the face in a reflex…..CRINGE!!!!! and yes, totally Oouch!!.. Anywy, Biopsies were taken which at the time ofcourse did not hurt because of the anaesthetic and I was still holding my breath making my head take the shade of an aubergine..but Oh boy did it hurt afterwards..its been three days now and I still feel like Im walking like a duck..which by the way is beneficial seeing that our whole place is almost totally flooded by the huge amount of rain we’ve been getting. I discovered that it’s not only the water coming down from the sky that makes things wet, but also the fact that the water table is so darn high , the springs on our property are gushing water out like it was going out of fashion,,,I digress…hospital…looking like a tomato/aubergine, holding breath, trying not to think about the awkward position I have to hold myself in, which by the way, faces the door! If there is one thing you don’t really want to experience is the fact that somebody opens the door, looks straight at your……………… and says “Oops, sorry, wrong door…” . Luckily that didn’t happen…but there’s always next time. Anyway, the abnormalities were nicely cut out (I hope, I can’t really check since my contortionist days are long over) and now it’s a waiting game to hear if it is ..A) Bad, B) Not so bad or C) Very bad…..Hence the title of this blog: In Limbo….like not knowing what needs to be done, not alluding in anyway shape or form to the acrobatics you have to go through to dance under an ever lowering stick..although it kind of feels like that as well at the moment.

I was a mess on Tuesday, Wednesday and the best part of Thursday. I couldn’t focus, couldn’t think, could not concentrate, I was forgetting this and that, backed into Pauls car which I totally forgot was there! DOH!…until today, still sore and walking like a duck, but at least my inner stand up comedian is back on duty which is such a relief! If there is any religion or belief system you want to adhere to in times of utter stress and blackness, please please, may it be the Religion of Humour! It makes the worst scenario quite easy to cope with and lets face it, it’s much nicer for other people to deal with a smiling fool than a blubbering one. On top of that, it’s better for your looks. I hate it when your eyes go all droopy and puffy and blue, so my vote is definitely for the go out with a smile type of thing ..

Safe to say, by the way, just in case you were wondering…..I have not done the veggie patch…yet….
On Thursday I received two parcels in the mail which were both unexpected and brought a happy tear and warm glow to me. You see, the universe is balanced I’m sure. There are so many people with warm hearts and sharing natures out there. Thank you thank you thank you!!! Your parcels couldn’t have come at a better time ! First I want to thank the wonderful Bernie Sammon for her beautiful embroidered teatowel with a gorgeous bunny and happy flowers. It put such a smile on my face ! Thank you thank you thank you! Oh and by the way: you did say it was totally washable, but I wouldn’t dream drying dishes with your art work. It will be on display and will have a place of honour in our kitchen !!
Happy bouncing bunny
Then on the same day I got another mystery parcel from Spinning Woodie , a gorgeous wood turner in South Australia who sells the most wonderful spindles and knitting paraphernalia !
Osage Orange treasures
It was a bag of Osage orange shavings (YUMMY FOR DYEING!!!!!!) and to top it all off a gorgeous hand turned osage orange circular knitting needle holder! And a what I would call a tongue holder…lol…but it’s also a book mark ! and all of it made out of the magical Osage Orange wood, which is especially meaningful and powerful for Native Americans. Especially the Comanches were known to make the most wonderful bows with it but we from the Menominee nation, use it in the dyepots !

Here is some natural dyeing information when wanting to use the Osage Orange which will give you bright Yellow to Khaki Greens: ·

Osage Orange dyes best when the chips have soaked, in water, for several days.
Osage Orange does not require a mordant for dyeing, it is a substantive dye, and it is high in natural tannins.
· Place Osage Orange chips into a plastic bucket and cover with hot, not boiling, water. A 10litre bucket works well for this method. ·
*Note on water quality: If your water is very alkaline or acidic, high in iron, etc… I suggest using distilled water. High mineral contents in your water supply will act as a mordant and grossly alter your expected dye colors. Rain water is always best for dyeing!
· Leave this solution to sit, in a warm place, like a sunny window, for one week; you may soak the Osage Orange upwards of three years, so long as mold does not grow on the surface. At a minimum your Osage Orange should soak overnight.
· Remove Osage Orange chips from the resultant liqueur, and place onto a screen or screen-like surface to dry. Once dry you may store, or reuse, the Osage Orange chips for future dye baths. The color will be lighter, but you will find by allowing them to dry, and then reuse them, you will be able to extract a lot of color from the chips.
· Place your Osage Orange liqueur into a dye pot, place pot onto heat source and bring the solution to a simmer.
· Place your wetted fabrics into the dye pot; simmer for two hours.
· Remove from heat and allow the fabric to remain in the dye bath, overnight or longer if desired. · Allowing the fabric to remain in the dye pot, as the dye bath cools, allows for more of the dye molecules to bind with the fibers.
· Remove fabric from the dye bath and rinse the fabric thoroughly. Some dye color will rinse off in the process, this is normal.
· Allow the fabric to line dry.
· You may then post mordant the fabrics  or you may over dye the fabric with another color, such as indigo to acquire a second color.
· Osage Orange and Indigo will yield beautiful greens.
· The Fabric can then be machine-washed and dried, using a mild detergent without bleaches or oxidizers. These types of detergents will remove natural dye colors. I alwys use organic shampoo or dishwashing detergent.

Thank you so much Spinning Woodie for your wonderful gifts that put a warm glow in my heart ! Big hugs to you Ron and Roz and your gorgeous dog Sheila ! And for all of you spinning and knitting fans out there: if you want to get your hands on some of spinningwoodies wonderful work please contact him on www.ravelry.com where he is ofcourse known as : Spinningwoodie !
I have a very exciting new update planned for all of you fibery fans of fluffy goodness and tomorrow is another Bunny Spin in Day with a FULL HOUSE! So after this update I better get my duck into gear and start baking !

Have fun and please please Rabbit on with a SMILE !
How To Order:You can email me on ixchel at rabbit dot com dot au or message me on facebook or ravelry where I am Ixchelbunny. I will email you right back with all your order details and payment methods. Any questions? Please don’t hesitate to ask! Always happy to enable.
Thank you so much for your help and support !
(((HUGS)))
Charly

Black Bunny Tops

blue faced leicester 60% cashmere 10% Angora Bunny 10% Black Bamboo 20%
100+ grams       AU$21

Beautiful to spin, felt, knit and wear. The black Bamboo makes the colours so much more intense !
Black Bunny Tops Natural
Slate
Babyface-sold-
Cuddlebun
Bears at a picnic
Velveteen
Sage Forest-sold-
Waterfall
Rainbow
Honey Bunny
Honey Pot-sold-
Paisley
Kingfisher Love-sold-
Barbies and Zombies
Rave Bunnies
Oriental Poppies
Velvet-sold-

Dates to Remember:

Bunny Spin in at the Ixchel Fibre Farm (11am-4pm)
Every Third Saturday and every fourth Thursday of the month!
Saturday August 18th, 11am-4pm and  FULL HOUSE !
Thursday August 23rd,)   11am – 4pm

Bring a plate to share your wheel or spindle, knitting or crochet, yourself and a smile and have a fun day out amongst bunnies and friends ! Please contact me to secure a spot ! Bunny food like cabbage, bok choi or broccoli is always welcome as well ! : the bunnies will cuddle you more for it ;D

Monday , October 15th

Doncaster and Templestowe Spinners and Weavers

“Bunny Spin Day”

10am-2pm

The Upper Hall at Templestowe Uniting Church, Woods street, Templestowe.
I will be doing a bunny talk and a very nice way to get information on angora bunnies, their care and their fibre . Also a demo on spinning funky bunny yarn.
You will also be able to get close and personal with an English angora rabbit that will get a haircut AND last but not least: there willl be heaps of fibres and yarns, batts and woosh’s for sale as well ! Don’t miss out and RSVP Janet Knoop of the Doncaster + Templestowe spinners and weavers asap.

 
Any questions or special requests?
Contact me on Ravelry where I am Ixchelbunny,
message me on facebook
or email me on Ixchelbunny@yahoo.com.au or ixchel@rabbit.com.au
RABBIT ON !
((hugs))
Charly
qrcode

2 comments:

vi'screations said...

iDear Charly,don't worry about stupid people-I'll tell you one thing -I had colon cancer 18 years ago -at age of 40 -1 glass of wine now and then-no smoking -all my life eat more fruit and veges than meat -so what else I could do?
Be happy and brave -always think positive and you'll be fine .
Hugs
Visnja

Bel said...

Oh Charly!
1) Screw that person who sent you the letter. I'm with you, practice what you wish, but don't get all preachy and shove it in my face when my decisions don't impact your life AT ALL.

2) I know exactly how that limbo period feels and massive hugs for that. I remember waiting for my post op report after my breast tumour was taken out. I didn't know what to do, I didn't have anyone to talk to but had to keep going with everyday life.

No matter what the outcome, you have a whole bunch of people who love you so so much and will hold your hand through the tears of relief or pain. Keep being awesome and ignore the haters. They are just jealous of your awesome.